C spy wc2 com
Sayes Court was demolished in 1728-9 and a workhouse built on its site.
Part of the estates around Sayes Court were purchased in 1742 for the building of the Navy Victualling Yard, which was renamed the Royal Victoria Victualing Yard in 1858 after a visit by Queen Victoria.
This massive facility included warehouses, a bakery, a cattleyard/abattoir and sugar stores, and closed in 1961.
All that remains is the name of Sayes Court Park, accessed from Sayes Court Street off Evelyn Street, not far from Deptford High Street.
The area was split in 1900: the southern part, the parish of St Paul Deptford, became the Metropolitan Borough of Deptford; In 1965 the Metropolitan Borough of Deptford was absorbed into the London Borough of Lewisham, then in 1994 the bulk of the northern part, including the former Royal Dockyard area, was transferred to Lewisham Borough from Greenwich Borough, leaving only the north eastern area, around St Nicholas's church, in Greenwich.
When the docks were thriving as the main administrative centre of the British Navy, so the area prospered, and fine houses were built for the administrative staff and the skilled shipbuilders, and a few grand houses like Sayes Court and Stone House on Lewisham Way were erected.
Trinity House, the organisation concerned with the safety of navigation around the British Isles, was formed in Deptford in 1514, with its first Master being Thomas Spert, captain of the Mary Rose. The name "Trinity House" derives from the church of Holy Trinity and St Clement, which adjoined the dockyard.
After Evelyn had moved to Surrey in 1694, Russian Tsar Peter the Great studied shipbuilding for three months in 1698.
Goldsmiths College's hall of residence, Rachel Mc Millan, in Creek Road was sold in 2001 for £79 million, and was subsequently demolished and replaced with the Mc Millan Student Village which opened in 2003 and provides accommodation for approximately 970 students of the University of Greenwich, Trinity Laban and Bellerbys colleges.
A large former industrial site by the Thames called Convoys Wharf is scheduled for redeveloping into mixed use buildings.
The downward shift continued into the 20th century as the local population's dependency on the docks continued: as the docks themselves declined, so did the economic fortune of the inhabitants until the last dock, Convoys Wharf, closed in 2000.
Deptford's northern section nearest the old docks contains areas of desolate council housing and deprivation typical of inner city poverty, though the area, along with neighbouring New Cross, has been touted as "the new Shoreditch" by some journalists and estate agents paying attention to a trendy arts and music scene that is popular with students and artists.
The area referred to as North Deptford is the only part of the London Borough of Lewisham to front the Thames and is sandwiched between Rotherhithe and Greenwich.